8/13/09

Initial Reaction: AcneFree vs. ProActiv Solution

Alright Acne Sufferers!
I've been an avid user of ProActiv Solution for the past 2 years. As soon as I used ProActiv, I saw results -- there was no denying that. But I learned the hard way that ProActiv isn't a permanent fix. Once I saw a decrease in the number of pimples on my face, I stopped using ProActiv -- big mistake! About 4 months after I discontinued using the system, I had acne flare ups all over again.

One thing I absolutely hate about ProActiv (& I'm sure many will agree) is the fact that if you want the system for a cheaper price, you have to be a part of their Clear Skin Club. If not, you're going to pay a lot more $$$ buying it elsewhere (like eBay). Soooo with that said, I opted for the longest delivery time of "every 13 weeks" & yet, I still had enough product left over from previous orders. Paying $40-$50 every 13 weeks for a system I couldnt use because I still had a lot left, was really kickin my butt because I'm a broke college student! lol and they always managed to charge my card during my most brokest weeks! lol

So I ended up canceling my membership. After going to CVS and finding AcneFree's Terminator 10 spot treatment (which I wrote a review on), I fell in love with the product. So recently, I went & purchased AcneFree's Severe System -- they advertise this product as working a bazillion times better than ProActiv (due to the 10% benzoyl peroxide). So I took a chance, and I used this stuff everyday for about 1 week. Opinions?
UGH! I abso-freakin-lutely hate this!!! Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating - so I'll break it down.
AcneFree has 4 parts to their system, but Im going to compare the first 3 steps to ProActiv.

1. AcneFree vs ProActiv Renewing Cleanser: AcneFree's cleanser has about 3 microbeads in the entire bottle, while ProActiv's is FILLED with them. Therefore, the AcneFree cleanser offers no kind of "exfoliation".

2. AcneFree vs. ProActiv Toner: I think everyone who has used ProActiv knows that this stuff BURNS THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR FACE! lol, fortunately, AcneFree toner doesnt burn at all. But if you're wierd like me & think that the burning sensation is a good thing & means "its working" then AcneFree wont do a dang thing for you.

3. AcneFree vs. ProActiv Repair Lotion: Ok, so this is where the real diappoinment comes into play. I abosolutely LOVE the feeling of ProActiv's repairing lotion. After burning off my pigmentation in my face with their toner (lol), it feels very cooling to put their lotion on right after. Its very smooth & silky like :) -- But AcneFree on the other hand?? Makeup wearers & sensitive facers BEWARE! I think AcneFree took all the microbeads out their cleanser & put them in their repair lotion. I say this because their lotion HURTS! Its kind of a sand-like texture & I felt like it was ripping my face apart. Not only that, but I think this stuff is like body-heat activated because as soon as I rubbed it in, my face began sweating uncontrollably. I mean my forehead, bridge, nose, and top lip were DRIPPING SWEAT! It was so gross - & there was no way I was going to be able to put on my beloved Everyday Minerals foundation over top of that gunk. So I immediately washed my face off, & AcneFree will be going back to Target :\

Soooo whats the lesson here folks? Well, for me the lesson was "stick with ProActiv" -- but on a plus side...I still recommend you try AcneFree Terminator 10. Put it on at night & that stuff works miracles!

Anyway, hope this helped. Leave a comment if u have questions!

XOXO,
Kelsey

1 comment: